The extensively updated edition presents an engaging approach to teaching U.S. history that promotes critical thinking and social responsibility. In Volume 2, students investigate 19 significant historical episodes beginning with the era of expansion and reform and ending with problems facing Americans in the contemporary era. A comprehensive Instructor’s Manual is also available for purchase.
In Volume 2, students can grapple with such ethical dilemmas as:
- Should Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton have supported the adoption of the Fifteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution?
- Was investigative journalist Nellie Bly justified in lying to gain access to the Women’s Lunatic Asylum?
- Was Woodrow Wilson right to call for entry of the United States into World War I?
- Should interned Japanese Americans have volunteered to serve in the United States Army during World War II?
- Should Hollywood director Elia Kazan have named communists in his testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee?
- Should Representative John Conyers have introduced legislation for reparations to African Americans?
“A powerful approach to learning history. The lively and exciting true stories provide ample background to engage students in discussions of well-framed questions that are perennial and important.”
—Diana Hess, dean, University of Wisconsin–Madison
“Ethical reasoning is joined with historical reasoning—values with inquiry—in an array of well selected cases. This curriculum belongs in every U.S. history classroom.”
—Walter C. Parker, University of Washington
“Clearly organized and eminently balanced, these volumes will help students become citizens who can converse across their differences.”
—Jonathan Zimmerman, University of Pennsylvania
“These volumes will help build a deeper understanding of significant historical concepts and present wonderful opportunities to engage in critical thinking.”
—Amy Bloom, J.D., social studies education consultant, Oakland Schools.
Additional ISBNs: 9780807759295, 0807759295, 9780807777084, 0807777080